2013 was an *interesting* year to say the least. In no particular order, I celebrated my 2nd wedding anniversary, I wound up in an Argentine psychiatric ward, I gave birth to my beautiful son, I had a major fallout and subsequent blowout with a friend of 18 years, and I have nearly completed my 5th full year of living in Argentina. If anything, it was a learning experience. Not that I’m big into New Year’s resolutions, but I still feel the need to make some sort of commitment to continuing to evolve, improve, and challenge myself (after all, what’s the point if we never change or do anything different?).
Ideally, I wanted to find a fitting number for these goals, such as 14 for the year 2014, or a nice, even 10. It didn’t quite work out that way, but nevertheless… Below are some of my goals, hopes, and objectives to accomplish in 2014:
- Improve my Spanish – I’ve been living in Buenos Aires for nearly five years, but I admit that between my English-speaking job and (let’s be honest) a lack of good old fashioned gumption, I’ve let my level of Spanish plateau. I need to expand my vocabulary and read more, amongst other pursuits. As they say, “The limits of your language are the limits of your world.”
- Learn how to crochet – I need a hobby. Desperately. Something to keep my hands busy would be ideal. Might as well seek a hobby that results in pretty scarves and doilies!
- Continue to lose weight and get back in shape – My former goal for this used to be a number on the scale, but now it is much more than that. Rather than aim for a specific weight, I think it is more important to value having enough energy to play and chase after my son when he starts to walk (and run), to be able to go out and participate in physical activity with my loved ones and not get winded, and simply no longer feeling ashamed of my body. I don’t want to miss out anymore. Which leads me to my next goal….
- Improve small but important eating habits – I’ve got some baaaaaaad eating habits. Having a major sweet tooth, emotional eating, over-salting food, poor food choices, eating too fast, you name it. Mea culpa. I need to start changing those, stat.
- Work on my marriage with Fede each day – I cannot emphasize enough how much my husband means to me. I’ve told him many times that being married to him is like celebrating Thanksgiving every day – I feel warm, happy, full, contented, and loved. But that’s not to say that I am comfortable to the point that I don’t feel the need to earn his love each day that we are together. I never want to take what I have with him for granted. He is far too valuable to me.
- Make new friends/be a better friend –It’s great having the luxury of having my husband and best friend in the world rolled into one individual, but I really need to expand my social circle. It’s been more challenging to do so since Sebastian was born, it’s not like when I had the convenience of meeting people through school. However, I know that I need to make a greater effort to pursue female friendships, and I also need to be a better friend to those who are already in my life. I am not always the best at staying in touch, even with people who live in the area locally. This is undoubtedly something to work on.
- Stop obsessing about work when not appropriate – Let’s be clear – I don’t consider myself to be a workaholic, but mentally, it’s hard for me to leave work “at the office” after working hours (I’m a teacher, after all). One of my major weaknesses regarding this issue? Checking my work email constantly, after school and on the weekends.
- Take more time and better care of myself- such as reading more for pleasure, flossing, applying sunscreen, maybe taking up a holistic and healthy practice such as yoga, and all the other little things that will help with “daily maintenance.” It’s all about the little choices and details, which are sometimes easy to disregard, but are just as key as the significant choices and details.
Here’s to improvement.
Here’s to change.
Here’s to 2014.
Contact WordPress Website Development Company to Create & Update Your Website